Sibelius is the world’s best-selling music notation software. Sophisticated enough to meet the demands of the world’s top professional composers, arrangers, and publishers, yet simple enough for students of all ages, Sibelius is the superior choice for learning and teaching music notation, composition, and music theory. Avid Certified training and certification lets you quickly master the software so you can focus your energies on creating music.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Sibelius verifies that you possess a fundamental understanding of and the capability to use Sibelius, along with the techniques of professional composers. This includes how to create a score, input notes, edit pitches. It also demonstrates a range of skills from working with layout and formatting and creating a lead sheet, to using multiple voices, working with drum mapping, and creating instrument changes and much more.
To gain the title of Avid Certified User for Sibelius you must firstly take the two foundational courses, Introduction to Sibelius (SB101) and Essentials of Sibelius (SB110), before sitting and passing the associated certification exam, as shown in the graphic below.
Becoming an Avid Certified User for Sibelius allows you to:
- Demonstrate your fundamental competency in digital music notation using Sibelius
- Provide measurable benefits to your employer
- Differentiate yourself from peers
- Make your résumé stand out and leverage the power of the Avid brand with downloadable Avid Certified User logos
- Prove your credentials with a Certificate of Achievement
- Gain recognition from your employer and peers with our online Certified Professional listing
As an employer, use the Avid Certified User credential as a benchmark so you can:
- Find the right person for the job
- Quickly assess candidate skill level
- Invest in and promote your most promising employees
How do I become an Avid Certified User for Sibelius?
Firstly attend the two courses:
To certify you must complete each course, including course projects/exercises, at an official Avid Learning Partner, then pass each course completion exam.
Where are the classes offered?
Sibelius classes and certification exams are offered worldwide at Avid Learning Partner schools and training centers. Find an Avid Learning Partner.
How much does certification cost?
Course fees are set independently by Avid Learning Partners. Students are required to purchase a course book, which includes the cost of the course exam, and a single retake, if required. Additional retakes are chargeable.
Can I refer to study materials during the exam?
No. Students are not allowed to reference any documentation or study materials during the exam.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions with 60 minutes allotted to complete.
Test items are presented in the following formats:
- Multiple Choice: Select the single option that best answers the question
- Illustration Review: Refer to the illustration prior to answering the multiple choice question
- Illustration Response: Select the single image that best answers the question
What happens if I take the exam and do not pass?
Exam results are shown immediately when an exam is completed and submitted for evaluation. Unless a candidate is banned from retaking the exams for reasons of fraud or rule violations, the following retake policy applies:
- If a student does not pass an exam, the candidate may retake the exam after 24 hours have passed
- Once a student has passed an exam, it may not be taken again for that version of the Avid product
What will I receive if I successfully pass the exam?
Along with pride and confidence of becoming an Avid Certified User for Sibelius you will receive:
- Official certificate available for printing or download, proving your Avid Certified User status
- Downloadable Logos, for use in your resume, business marketing materials such as business cards and websites
- (Optional with your express consent) Listing of your credentials on Avid.com under Find a Certified Professional
How long is certification good for?
Your Sibelius certification does not expire. You become certified for a particular version of Pro Tools software. You may find it beneficial to update your certification to the current version from time to time. Contact your local Avid Learning Partner for more information.